Tuesday, May 20, 2008

my back, ouch!

My back, or more accurately, my right side, has had it, at least for a few days. No more planting, shoveling, or climbing for a while. The pain tablets are not helping very much, and no matter what I do, it has gotten progressively worse over several months. It may not just be another kidney stone. :( so I just have to rest and behave for a time, and see if it improves in the next few days. :)
I've weeded the herb and flowers beds and have also potted some plants. Here is the flower box on the front porch, I promise to post more photos of other flowers around the garden next time:

In the last four years we reduced our once large vegetable garden to a 8 x 2 foot strip to the right of the back porch. I no longer preserve vegetables, since I can and do stock up on most canned veggies at the super store. I think I'm ahead 3 to 6 months ;)) However, if I find something at the farmers market, I do get a bushel and cook and freeze whatever it is, like green beans and corn. I've kept most of my canning jars and utensils in good order just in case ;)

I've planted two kinds of tomatoes :















On the left is "beefy" and on the right is "cherry"
I got some fresh yeast last Friday, and I baked two loaves. Since there will be no more work in the garden for a few days (except for watering the plants and flowers) I'll probably make a few more loaves and buns.












Now that my sister's birthday has come and gone, and I know she has received it, I will show you the necklace I bought for her some time ago ( this photo is from the website):




I have amethyst earrings in a square silver setting, and they are so lovely, I thought sis would also love something in the same stone, even though it is not her "birth"stone.


It's funny, but when I was younger I was not terribly interested in buying or wearing jewelry, but as I get older, I seem to be turning into a magpie bird( They find shiny things attractive *giggles*). Not that I own very much, but I seem to have become more interested in the last three years in at least looking at jewelry.

The hummingbirds are back, and so we need to make nectar for them. Whilst I was standing on the back porch, one flew up, had a look see at the spot where we usually hang the feeder, and flew away. We have been feeding them for at least twenty years, so each generation probably has the location in their genes by now *lol*

Off to put the laundry in the dryer ( too rainy and cold to hang on the line even if I want to). I'll also try to have photos of the progress I've made on the baby's cardigan I've been knitting. I finished the back at the weekend.

No comments: