Tuesday, June 3, 2008

moods and friends, family and appointments

Mood: thankful, hopeful, creative.
It was so warm and sunny in the early hours yesterday, I decided to make sun tea in this re purposed 4 litre juice bottled. I filled it just over half full with water and used 8 regular Lipton brand tea bags, and 8 Green tea bags. I actually had some while it was still quite warm from the sun, and then later after it had been refridgerated for several hours, with a few fresh 'mint leaves added.



Isn't it wonderful having friends and family who seem to have a knack for knowing when you need them, even miles away? Among other contact this past week, I got another lovely handmade card from my friend Jo. I won't embarrass her by posting a photo here. Suffice it to say that her work is distinctive and that her sentiments are greatly appreciated. Jo, you know how much I enjoy your "snail" mail, our taste in music, ;), and our usually unplanned crafty exchanges. To my friends who have e-mailed or telephoned, Thank-You! Also, hurrah for mother-in-law who give me those hugs mum wishes she could give across the miles.


So, days before Emergency Care I ate very little. Great for losing extra pounds, but not so good for one's health. (my follow up visit to my doctors' showed weight loss; I rarely weigh myself, I try not to be a chained to the scales, it's too depressing, *lol*)

For the first 48 hours after the hospital along with lots of fruit juices, this is what was recommended, and all I could tolerate due to the nausea and pain. Peppermint tea, made from leaves fresh picked from my garden, also helps.


Hubby bought for me loads of these Popsicles and ready made Jell-O and we had lots of packets at home. I'm not so fond of Jell-O, most remind me of hospitals, but I do like the lime flavour.





















I have a test in nuclear medicine tomorrow, which I've had before so I know what to expect.

I'll be meeting with a new general surgeon on the 12th. The surgeon I saw for 20 years moved away last year, so It will be interesting meeting someone new. By several accounts, he is likable.

Here is the back and front of the child's cardigan I'm doing for the Knit-Along at My Craftivity. I had to "frog" the front pieces entirely. Since the pain med keeps me in a fog when it is working, and the lace pattern I had in my head was not the one I had worked out for this project, ( they are quite similar)I had to take it apart.

I've received several knitted or crocheted dish washing cloths from my MIL, but I've never made any for myself. I noticed that about half of my store bought cotton cloths have holes and tears in them, and I usually buy replacements when this happens, but I thought I'd make some. These may end up being presents for friends and family, but they are fun and quick to make, and not too much thought is required when I'm in a fog. The yellow mock cable was the first one, but I thought it might be too heavy when wet, so I made up a simpler pattern, which uses fewer stitches. (I have several skeins of Peaches and Cream cotton on hand but any worsted weight cotton will do.) Here is the pattern for the lavender cloth. Easy:

With size 7 needles, cast on 38 stitches.
Seed stitch:
Row 1, right side---
knit one, purl one across
Row 2, knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches. Repeat until piece measures approximately 1 inch
Keep to seed stitch pattern for first six and last six stitches, working the remaining stitches between in straight stitch (that is; knit right side rows and purl wrong side rows)

Work until piece measures about 7.5 inches from beginning, finish as for bottom border with seed stitch until piece measures 8. 5 inches. bind off in pattern, sew in ends. Finished size is approximately 8.5 inches square.
I think when I just need to pick up my art journal and start sketching. I haven't done any sketching lately, and I miss it.

No comments: