Tuesday, April 29, 2008

herbs and toads, and earth day

I was in a bit of pain this past week, so I wasn't up to posting. It's better, but I don't have the energy I had before that. The return of the cold doesn't help, but I'm hopeful.

A steaming pot of chicken and dumplings I made during the week. This is one meal on which we agree :). I've been making this at least once a week for the past few months. it's comfort from the cold.

One pot recipe follows:

(Use a 2 quart pot, serves 4)
Ingredients:
2 boneless chicken breasts, rinse in cold water and cube.
Olive oil
Fresh or frozen chopped vegetables- carrots, broccoli, total of two cups (500 millilitres)
Seasonings--(Use fresh if you have herbs growing)
Chopped basil, thyme, minced garlic, onion, a pinch or two of salt, oregano, a pinch of sage and some parsley.
A quarter cup of cream or a cup of milk

Dumplings:
(The same basic recipe as homemade pasta.)
1.5 cups flour (375 millilitres)
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon to half cup water ( 125 millilitres) ( amount depends on flour absorption)
How to:
Stir fry the chicken in a little olive oil, about a tablespoon (15 millilitres) until golden.
Add seasonings and



Add three cups water, partially cover ( you want evaporation), and bring to a rolling boil; stir often.
Add another cup of water, then add vegetables. Bring to a boil again.
In the meantime, make the dumplings--
Mix the first three ingredients together, add the water a little at a time until the mixture holds together.
Choice-- Do not over work it, but roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to quarter inch thick, then cut into square dumplings (remember, they double in size when cooked) and drop into boiling pot OR just drop by rounded teaspoon full into boiling pot. Stir well.
Let it come to a rolling boil again until dumplings puff up and float on top, then add the cream and stir well. Turn the heat to low, and let simmer; stir frequently until the sauce is well blended and just begins to thicken. Remove from stove, and let sit for a few minutes to cool slightly if you can (This dish can be made a few days ahead if you refrigerate after it cools, I don't know if it does well frozen, as it's never lasted that long in our house ;))
Serve with a tossed salad and scones and jam if you like. Enjoy!

Earth Day
This is one of the two white pine saplings I planted the day after Earth Day in honor of two dear friends. One sapling is near the property line, and one down by the front of the driveway:

A few plants I bought at the green house last week: pansies, lemon thyme, basil and chamomile. I put them out on those warm sunny days we had last week, but it is too cold now. They say the weather will improve in a few days.



I went pick up the pieces of a small pot knocked over by the winds on Friday, and found a toad taking shelter there, so I left it alone. He was gone the next day. We usually see many in the course of the spring and summer, often disguised as part of our outdoor furniture :)








A partial view of my crafts shelves, and a bit of the adjacent pantry shelves on the right. I've been using my own handmade baskets there to store the things I use most often. I rarely make baskets any longer. It's not one of my favourite past times, but I did study under a wonderful teacher and friend about 25 years ago. I was her assitant for a short time, and I have fond memories of our professional and personal relationship.
I keep my sewing machine on the pull out cart on the right when not in use; I sew either on the work top, or here in the den. The recycle bin is below that.
The cupboard I keep mentioning, conspicuous by it's absence, will be on the far left of the crafts storage. adjacent to that is my work counter, where I have my bulletin board.
What's on your crafts bulletin board? Mine is a temporary resting place for knitting swatches and for quick sketches that have not yet been pasted to my art journal, as well as photos of things and people who inspire me.

No comments: