Saturday, February 2, 2008

portrait of Sam

Our Sammy was nearly 14 when he died in 1998. Sam quite enjoyed life, we believe, and now when I think of him, I smile at our times together.
He was hubby's car dog, and fishing companion. sometimes I think he sensed how uncomfortable I was being out onthe lake in the little row boat, so he sort of took my place there.
He was my companion ( along with a cat or two, but of course, cats often have their own timing about where they want to be) Sam and I often took long walks to the lake, or even just round the yard, when he was often on the chase of an elusive rabbit, or on the scent of deer. He would disapper amoung the tall grass, and I would occasionaly get a glimpse of his fluffy tail.
I did a preliminary sketch of him some time ago, but it has taken me this long to paint his portrait.
I'm now considering getting another puppy, and am quite looking forward to it. I'm certain Sam is having a great time still.